Having trouble with image QHY183c

im running a test session in my basement trying to get a grasp on sgp. I have an artificail star panel setup atm and I have been going through camera gain, offest, and cooling automation routines.

One thing that is bugging me are the images. I have usb speed set to 0 but my images are downloading and being split up into artifacts. Every few images I will get a normal sub but it is happening alot. Is there a setting I have wrong?

I’m sure you’ve probably thought of this, but (almost) every time I have had an issue with download the problem is USB related. Hub, cable, etc.

Just FYI, I believe that QHY changed their driver a while back and now the USB speed is meaningless. It is factory set at 0 no matter what you manually set it at. At least I think that’s the case…

I tried the usb 3 cable from my zwo asi 290 as well and it was choppy. I assumed that they could both be bad and ordered new ones last night. Hopefully that is the issue.

Are you using a USB hub? If so, have you tried connecting the camera directly to the computer instead?

No I was connected direct to the laptop. I was using really short exposures 1s and 5s. I wonder if this was creating an issue.

1s exposures shouldn’t be a problem. I loop 1s frame and focus images with my QHY163M for several minutes when I first get things going.

tested at lunch with the latest version of APT. It gave me the same issue. Its not software related.

In a way that’s good. It points to a cable as the issue. Less likely is that there might be an issue with the camera itself or with the computer USB. Can you test with another computer to see if the issue persists?

ok I loaded APT and SGP onto my desktop. It worked flawlessly in both programs. So its not the cable or the programs. Which means it is probably my usb driver and Im not sure wha tto do about that. My USB controller in the laptop is AS Media XHCI

I re installed the USB 3 drivers. Im still having the same issues as before. I tried the usb 2.0 port. I did not think it would be able to power the camera but it works. The usb 2.0 port does not show artifacts but of course goes incredibly slow. This is frustrating and I hope I can figure out a way to get the drivers to work without creating artifacts.

Well and to make things even more bizarre I tried sharpcap which has a dedicated driver and does not use ASCOM. It works just fine in Sharpcap. Im burt out on troublshooting for the day. Will try more tomorrow.

I have spent all day exhaustively researching driver updates and cross platform software testing.

Im am now 90% sure that this is an ASCOM driver issue. On my laptop the USB 3.0 ports are fragmenting the images when I download them using USB 3.0 with Sequence generator Pro and with Astrophotography tool.

When I use Sharpcap pro with the dedicated QHY183c driver the images are not corrupted when downloading through USB 3.0

I am going to try and relay this issue to QHY and see if they can help. I wonder why sharpcap’s driver does not exhibit the problem.