How to pause and automatically restart the sequence?

Dear SGP team,

In order to avoid the impact between telescope and pier (big pier creating an “hole” in my sequences when I am pointing to some zones), I would need the sequence to pause some minutes before the meridian transit and then automatically resume it some minutes after the meridian transit. In this time frame, I would need to stop tracking… otherwise the telescope would impact the pier…

How can I manage it ?

Thanks in advance
Francesco

No direct method that I know of.
This, however, should do the trick:

1. Split this target into 2 targets.
  2. The 1st target terminates prior to the flip time. This should stop tracking.
  3. The 2nd target starts after the flip time.

This assumes that when a target terminates, the mount tracking stops. Seems to me it should, but I am not sure. @Jared is this true? If not, how can we stop tracking but not terminate the sequence?

Currently there is not a way. SGP assumes that your targets are contiguous and if not it will essentially “do nothing” until the next target. A safer option:

1. Split into 2 targets as mentioned.
  2. 1st target terminates prior to the flip.
  3. Add in an additional target that moves your scope to a safe location for X amount of time.
  4. 2nd target starts.

Somewhat of a pain, yes. Ideally you’d probably want SGP to park and close up shop during any “dwell” time like that and then open the dome and restart on the next target once it hits the start point.

Thanks,
Jared

Actually, I would assume that the “safest” option would be to stop tracking. If you continue tracking, you could run into something. If tracking stops, there is no way to run into anything.

Logically, why would it keep tracking an object that is no longer being imaged? You may image an object until it hits your Western reasonable imaging altitude. The next target won’t be ready for another 2 hours.
Without adding this bogus target, you may well hit the pier.

Seems like a simple and logical change to how it handles this. Do you see any downsides?

The “safer option” is with how SGP currently operates.

I think we’re in agreement with your last comments:

Not at the moment. Working on some other changes that should make this better though.

Thanks,
Jared

Thank you for your ideas! They are really good for workaround.

I think (and hope) that this will be a new feature because the main purpose of SGP is automation. Such issue is really common.

Bye

Francesco