IC 5070 Pelican Nebula

I am trying my hand again at a two panel mosaic. This is the 1st panel - a total here of 19 hours over 5 nights.

SGP in action! :grin:

Full details at: Pelican Nebula - KinchAstro

2 Likes

Nice! Canā€™t wait to see the restā€¦

Thanks Ken. Time out for clouds just nowā€¦but my finger is on the button :point_down:

Hi Kinch,
Well done capture and processing. Good luck on the mosaic.
Mark

Thank you Mark.

I am glad that one turned out OK because the final 2 panel image was a disaster. I spent so much time trying to marry the two panels and concentrating on balancing the colours that the details slipped awayā€¦

Iā€™ll attach it here just for the record but will not put it up in higher resolution on my web siteā€¦I have put so many hours into this that I now want to see the back of it and get on with a new projectā€¦whenever I can get a start! This is the second mosaic I have triedā€¦I think I need to do a course to before I try another :confused:

For those that have not seen it elsewhere, one reasonably good image came out of the 2nd panel: The Cygnus Wall.

Can be viewed (with all details) on my web site at this link: Cygnus Wall - KinchAstro

Hey @Kinch

I am not very good at image processing. The only way I am able to get decent images is to blatantly steal techniques from folks kind enough to share them.

If itā€™s of any use to youā€¦

I use PixInsight for the mosaic creation and I use @harry s wonderful tutorial to do it. You can find that here:
http://harrysastroshed.com/pixinsight/pixinsight%20video%20html/pixinsighthomeinter.html

This method has always worked very well for me (quick tipā€¦ if any joining edge in your mosaic has an overscan region (black row or column of pixels) make sure those get cropped out before using this method)

Thenā€¦ for general processing of narrowband images, I use AstroAnarchyā€™s ā€œTone Mappingā€ technique. I think @joelshort might use this too. The latest image I posted here is a mosaic and uses tone mapping. Iā€™m pretty happy with this methodology in general.

An explanation here:

A PDF with more detailed instructions:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24702393/Tone%20Mapping.pdf

Hi Ken,

I really appreciate the info & links. The two panels were each OK, (not great but OK)ā€¦it was when I wanted to get them together that things fell apart. Iā€™ll revisit this again (after a break) and follow up on your suggestions.

Muchas Graciasā€¦or as they say in Spainā€¦Thanks a lot!

Took a break - had a sleep and then watched Harryā€™s video. Thanks to Ken & Harry, I gave it another go. I suppose I could have spent longer at itā€¦but if it becomes too much of a chore then I donā€™t enjoy it anymore. This is what I ended up with and for sure I will leave this one alone for quite a whileā€¦maybe a good one to come back to when there is nothing else going on!

Full image & details at: NGC7000 & IC5070 - KinchAstro

1 Like

Nice improvement! There is considerably more detail in the second version!

Processing is a black art to me. Iā€™ve always been horrible at it :-/

Jared