Recovery mode/auto meridian flip - clarification of process

I wonder whether someone is able to please clarify the expected process that SGP will follow when in Recovery mode and the mount is approaching the meridian? This is not a ‘bug’ report - as all operating ok in the latest beta 2.4.3.7 - but simply asking for help in my understanding as I hadn’t been in this particular circumstance before.

I was imaging last night when clouds rolled in and the sequence entered Recovery mode as the guide star was lost. The mount was about 45 minutes or so from the meridian. There were repeated attempts to reacquire the guide star all in accordance with my Recovery settings, but each failed as the clouds kept coming. I aborted 5 minutes before the meridian as I was unsure how SGP would handle the meridian in Recovery mode.

Assuming the clouds kept coming and I hadn’t aborted prior to the meridian, my questions are:-

1. would an auto meridian flip have happened, but not the centre option as due to cloud cover an image couldn’t be taken for plate solving?
  2. If a ‘slewed only’ auto meridian flip would have happened, would Recovery mode then continue?
  3. If a guide star could be reacquired during Recovery after the flip, would the centreing task have then happened (as a conclusion to the auto meridian flip) prior to resuming the sequence?

Thanks for the help.

Barry

Hi Barry,
I’m not clear either about the answers to your questions, but one thing I
do know is that if the sequence enters recovery mode before the meridian
flip there is a specific warning that recovery mode could delay the
meridian flip by up to 90min, so it is recommended to set mount limits if
this would happen. Because of that I have always tried to image objects
where the meridian flip happens while I’m still awake, or at least I don’t
go to bed unless I know it will be clear the rest of the night.

Thanks Joel.

Like you I do have limits set (within Eqmod), so knew that ultimately the OTA and ccd would be ok. It was just after midnight and the clouds didn’t look like they would end, so I thought I’d abort.

Of course after the 10 mins in the obsy to shut everything up, finish my diary entry, switch on the de-humidifier, I came out and the skies were clearing :frowning: - always the way, eh!

Barry

No, the sequence will fail at meridian and end of sequence actions will run.

Thanks Ken.

That’s clear and logical: safety first for the expensive kit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s good to know Ken. Thanks for the clarification.

@Ken - I was thinking again about this behavior and the responses in this thread.
If ‘Use Auto Meridian flip’ is enabled and I run into cloud around the meridian, I cannot visualize the safety issue to meridian flip at the normal flip point (set by SGP) while in recovery mode. It would be the same slew as would have happened in normal imaging?

Here is the situation - I want to start imaging but there is a chance that cloud will interrupt proceedings, just after I hit the sack, and then clear up. I’m a few hours from the meridian and Murphy’s law abounds.

What I was visualizing is:

• Recovery mode still ongoing when mount gets to flip point set by SGP telescope tab
  • SGP checks for auto meridian flip enabled
  • if enabled, SGP flips the mount but as it is in recovery mode, ignores the auto center commands.
  • SGP then tries to regain control of the guider over remaining recovery period
  • Assuming recovery mode is exited, if auto center thing is enabled, SGP pauses guider, auto centers and then starts up the guider again.
  • Goes onto to do normal imaging for the rest of the night.
  • If recovery mode expires - then normal end of sequence run.

I feel that this logic might be quite useful - if so, can it be considered as a feature request?