Remote server style version

I am not sure about the terminology. I have in my mind a method that I would like to employ to use SGP remotely.

I want to install SGP on one of those mini computers which I will then connect to the network via Cat6 and then remotely control that SGP from home.

What I would like to see is a server version of SGP that does not display any graphical representation of anything at all. It is just a terminal window or something of that type. Just a bunch of commands like a log scrolling up the screen. This would be least taxing on the small computer. It would assign some sort of way to connect to it via the network/internet and then at HOME I have my 3 big monitors with SGP spread out and it connects to this remote SGP terminal. Everything I do at home is sent through the network to this remote terminal which then executes them.

When dealing with .fits files the remote server would perhaps generate a copy that is reduced in size and is .png or .jpg and send it back through the net. So if I am doing a frame and focus where I want to see what the stars look like, I don’t need full size .fits files sent through. A shrunk down 640x480 .png should be just fine. Same with any other thing like plate solves or just the recent image download after stretching. Perhaps I can select what resolution of a .png to send. Also of course I have access by other means to the imaging folder so if I want to I can always copy them to my local computer via the internet.

Anyways the idea is not to have the full graphical program with high res photos on the remote computer so it has plenty of power to run everything it need to run without the overhead.

So this is just a random thought I had perhaps others have an idea that is better thought out.

Why not just use TeamViewer, or similar to remote onto the mini-pc?

You missed the point entirely. I don’t want to install MORE cpu intensive software on an already limited computer, I want to install LESS. Team Viewer displaying SGP is the opposite of what I just talked about.

No, I got it. I had a Zotac mini-pc running the observatory which included running TeamViewer and it was fine - just passing on my experience

Sorry Daz I didn’t mean to come off rude. I actually use Teamviewer right now. In fact I use my android tablet to connect to my computer which is running all that stuff remotely.

But the imaging gear is controlled by a gaming PC that has a lot memory, an SSD drive and an i7 processor. It has no problem running team viewer, SGP, SN7P, etc etc…

But I just bought one of those mini-pc’s from Amazon. Due to arrive today. I plan to mount it on top of my OTA to control everything. Currently I am using Icron Ranger 2304 which works great but I think the better way to go is with a little computer.

With its limited storage capacity and I think it is a micro-sd card, its 2gbs of memory, its slower than molasses cpu, I dread using team viewer on it on top of SGP, PHD2, and Teamviewer and whatever else like ANSV for off line fail-over plate solving. All of that adds up and it is going to be frustratingly slow.

BUT, if there was a simple terminal version of SGP where nothing graphically comes up at all and I don’t need team viewer to talk to it as SGP would connect and control it remotely, then I think that would be an excellent option.

Maybe SGP 3.5 will have it if I plant a seed now.

I have a NUC in the observatory and an Intel Stick on my portable rig. I use Windows Remote Desktop which I can use on Mac, iPad or PC. It works perfectly with the current version of SGP and I don’t need to buy any software or have an Internet connection.

I also run SGP on an Intel Compute Stick (Atom chip, 2 GB RAM, Win 10), which is attached to the top of the scope with velcro. Controls mount, imaging camera, guider, and focuser.

I’ve had no problems at all with this setup for lack of RAM or CPU power. It weighs 2 ounces and draws about half an amp.

Best thing is that everything rotates with the mount, so no cable snags! 12v power distribution box and USB hub ride up there too.

SGP is really not designed to be ran “as a service”, on top of that SGP lacks a decent automation mechanism (API is minimal).