SGP and EQASCOM

Newest version of SGP and 1.29 of EQASCOM.

Problem: After connecting my Canon DSLR and Orion AZ/EQ-G to SGP, setting all parameters and desired test sequence, SGP immediately goes to “sequence complete”, when it has done nothing with my Canon.

I’m at my wit’s end. When paired with PHD2, and using that connection to the mount, SGP functions. But the SGP manual says to also connect SGP to the mount.

Confusion? The manual says only EQASCOM v1.28m, but that is no longer available.

Thanks for any answers.

Eric

I have recently helped to setup 2 systems with sgpro and eqascom, both of them were with 2.5.1.17 and 1.29 one was az-eq6 and the other was a linear fast reverse - they both worked fine so I don’t think your problem is with eqascom but rather your setup in sgp.

I am sure that people will need to see your logs to help you

Julian

I cannot find any log files created by SGP.

A few minutes ago, I created a sequence using camera and EQASCOM simulators.

Connecting only the camera, SGP acts the way it should. Connecting both has the sequence completing immediately, though nothing has been done via the cam sim.

If this is a settings issue, I cannot find it.

Do I need to have the mount connected to both SGP and PHD2?

Go to “Help” then “Open Log Folder” and you should see the log files that SGP creates.

Yes, you need to connect both SGP and PHD2 to your mount, altough I believe that SGP can automatically start PHD and connect the mount.

Hi-

I have a lead on this related to the similar problem with MetaGuide and SGP. I was able to duplicate it by connecting to the ascom simulator.

The problem is that if the mount is parked, the sequence immediately says “finished” or something - but does not say why. I don’t think there is any explanation unless you look at the log.

So - make sure the mount is not parked when you play the sequence.

Frank

The mount is not parked.

Here is the log file obtained a few minutes ago.

PHD2 and SGP were connected to the sim mount, camera, and guide camera. PHD2 was “guiding”.

Immediately upon executing the sequence, it responded with the sequence complete message without having done anything.

Link to log:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25623396/sg_logfile_20160811164552.txt

Sorry - it isn’t an issue of being parked - it is that it is not tracking. Your message in your log is the same as in mine.

Since both problem reports were related to EQASCOM, it seems like it has some propensity to be in a non-tracking mode.

You can create the same behavior and message with the ascom mount simulator, with tracking off.

From my log:

[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] ********** Run sequence started **********
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Checking if observatory requires auto slaving…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Observatory does not require auto slave…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Attempting to find next event…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Current event[0] frame count: 0/4…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Looking at event[0]…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Found event event[0] with remaining frames.
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Event[0] frame count: 0/4…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Getting first event (0)…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] PopulateDataModel: Transferring view to the data model…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Running capture event…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Mount is not tracking! Aborting capture event (and sequence… recovery is not allowed here… assuming mount is not tracking for safety).
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Run event requested sequence abort…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Clearing timed monitoring events…
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Checking RunEndOfSequenceEquipmentOptions, force = True
[8/11/2016 10:45:34 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] In RunEndOfSequenceEquipmentOptions
[8/11/2016 10:45:39 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] User prevented end of sequence actions from running.

Frank

Hi, Frank.

The mount was not parked.

I’m stumped. I have no idea where to go at this point.

Was the mount tracking? The log says it wasn’t. I misspoke when I said it was due to the mount being parked. The log complains that the mount is not tracking when the sequence is started. Is it possible it wasn’t tracking at the time?

If the mount was not tracking, then make sure it is tracking and I assume things will work - but at the same time SGP should probably put up a messagebox saying why it quits - and I don’t think it did in my test. It just quit the sequence - with no explanation.

But if the mount was indeed tracking at the time - then something is going on with eqascom.

Frank

The results are the same with a live mount, which is seen by EQASCOM, and can be manually slewed.

Yes, the mount is tracking…and can be slewed via EQASCOM.

Slewing is different from tracking. It needs to be in EQ mode and tracking across the sky at sidereal rate. Is it? OK - now you say it is.

For some reason it appears that two separate EQASCOM mounts are suddenly saying they are not tracking - and sgp is aborting the sequence for safety reasons. I would ask eqascom.

Frank

I will do so, and thanks.

EQASCOM indicates it is tracking. Manually slewing the scope changes RA and DEC coordinates on the display. RA coordinates are incrementing as they should.

Can you attach your sequence file and I can take a look at that.

Thanks,
Jared

Disregard the request for the sequence file. As Frank has mentioned it looks like the mount isn’t tracking or if it is tracking EQASCOM is telling us it’s not for some reason or another. If you can attach the ASCOM log from the EQASCOM driver that can help too. It will have all the traffic between it and SGP.

Right now we’re just seeing one side of the conversation where we ask for a status and EQASCOM tells us the mount is not tracking. For non-delay sequences SGP requires that the mount be tracking prior to starting.

Thanks,
Jared

With SGP, do you really need EQMOD? I have just bought an Avalon Linear and I am using the ASCOM driver from the ASCOM.org website. It supports pulse guiding.