SGP times out on starting PHD2

I’m trying to get SGP to automate initiation and calibration of PHD2. Everything seems like it will work fine, except SGP times out about 15 seconds before PHD is done calibrating, so I have to abort the sequence and let PHD2 complete manually. Is there a way to extend the time-out period?

You have to do the calibration before starting SGP.

But SGP does initiate PHD which then does go on to begin calibration. SGP waits for PHD to begin tracking, but times out before PHD finishes the calibration. It looks like everything would work fine if SGP would only wait a little longer. Is there another aspect of this I am missing that SGP would have to do to make this work?

Are you permanently mounted in an OBS or do you have to set up each night?
This doesn’t answer your question, but if you are permanently mounted you
can calibrate PHD outside of SGP and then use the PHD option to
automatically restore calibration when PHD stars. That way PHD doesn’t
have to go through calibration each night when SGP starts PHD.

It’s semi-permanent - I leave my G11 tripod outside and only bring in the OTA, but that has alignment marks so I’m pretty sure it’s remounted in the same position. I check PA with SharpCap or PHD2 DA, and it never really changes much. I currently re calibrate every night but plan to try only doing so if I point to a different location in the sky (as is often recommended for permanent installation). Either way, I would like to automate it all through SGP and it appears the only thing holding me back from accomplishing this is one overly conservative time-out period in SGP.

Thanks!

Larry

Hi Larry,

If you are using the (superb) Gemini ASCOM driver, to connect to your G11 then there is no need to re-calibrate when you switch imaging targets. PHD2 will adjust guiding automatically to compensate for the declination of the target.

On the other hand if you are using the ST4 guide port to guide, then yes, you will need to re-calibrate when you switch targets. I’d recommend switching to ASCOM if possible.

Calibrate PHD2 once near the equator/meridian intersection and select the option in PHD2 to automatically restore calibration. No need to re-calibrate unless you change your guider configuration or rotate your guide camera.

PHD2 calibration measures just two things: which direction a guide star moves on the guide camera chip in response to RA and Dec guide pulses, and how far it moves for a given guide pulse. If you keep your guide camera angle the same (or close, within a couple degrees) from night to night then re-running the calibration is not necessary.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks. I am using the Gemini ASCOM driver, and yes it is superb! I also do not change the guide camera angle, so I will give the automatic restore calibration a try.

Thanks, Larry

1 Like

You’re right. SGP will do it for you but it opens you up to the problems you’re having. Your other choice is to speed up the number of steps it is taking to get a good calibration. In addition, you don’t know how much backlash is in your system and that can delay it as well.

I think it’s in the manual and it’s been highlighted by Ken/Jared in the past, it is recommended to do calibration manually in PHD.

Hi,

I am having a similar problem using an Orion Atlas, AstroTech AT65EQD and Starshoot autoguider.

If I calibrate outside of SGP, everything works fine, or, of course, if I just auto restore calibration. Bit if I have checked ‘Re calibrate on target change’, SGP pops up with it’s auto recovery before PHD2 has finished calibrating, even though everything is going fine.

Is it possible to make SGP wait a bit longer, put a timer option so we can manually extend the timer, or an option to continue calibration, not restart?

For now, I can just calibrate outside SGP, but my guiding isn’t as good if I haven’t calibrated near where I want to image.

Thanks

David.

You may want to revisit your PHD2 settings as well. Chances are your calibration step is too small if it’s taking that long to calibrate. There is a wizard in PHD2 that helps you to set those things which will greatly speed up calibration.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I’m using the recommended calibration steps in PHD2 using the tool and
it gave me the best guiding I’ve ever had :slight_smile:

If there isn’t a work around, I’ll do it outside SGP for now.

Thanks again

David

I ran into this issue tonight and did a google search to find this old thread.

For me it was probably caused by the 5 second guide exposures I was using. I have PHD2 set up to do 15 steps for calibration which is ok isn’t it?

But like the OP of this thread, I get it to time out and goes into recovery mode even though PHD2 is still happily calibrating.

A time out setting would be great so we can set it for however long we need. I am portable and set up only a few days at a time.

Thanks