SGPro on Rasberry Pi 3 and Win 10 IoT

Is there anyway this could happen? The thought of a 35 dollar micro PC controlling the imaging rig is quite inviting. Of course I have no idea if such software is even compatible.

1 Like

Anything that runs full Windows 10 (home or better), has enough storage for SGPro, drivers, ASCOM and Plate Solve catalogs, a USB port, a display port or enough bandwidth for remote desktop (preferably both) should be fine.

Limitations will become apparent with large frame cameras, auto focus and image history. Mileage may varyā€¦

Windows IoT is really an embedded OS (i.e. no shell) more suited to automatically controlling ā€˜thingsā€™ and not so suitable for cases where fully featured applications need to be run (which is not supported at present). I also think the Pi would probably be struggling performance wise.

Having said there is an interesting development with Microsoft (and Qualcomm) looking at running FULL Windows 10 (not just RT) on ARM processors. This is likely going to produce cheap devices being able to run full apps such as SGP on modern snapdragon processors which should have enough performance. Exciting times!

Personally I use an Intel NUC which cost around 300 Pound and is ideal for running my scope and all attached bits.

Mike

You may want to check out UDOO x86 ā€“ a fully featured board that will run full Windows 64bit apps with the power of a desktop PC for a hundred bucks or so:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-x86-the-most-powerful-maker-board-ever

Charlie

but RPI3 is ARMv8, so youā€™d have to retarget for ARMā€¦

This is not a simple retarget and recompile job.

SGP uses the .NET framework running on Windows running on Intel processors. The RPi uses an ARM and neither .NET nor Windows will run on that. The RPi uses Linux and typically major applications are written using C++. QT seems to be a popular UI framework.

Rewriting SGP to run under Linux would be a massive undertaking and it may be almost as easy to start again, doing a new application in C++ using QT.

Chris

OP was talking about W10 IoT, which of course i know nothing about, but assumed was windows. is W10 IoT actually linux? or is it x86 only?

Unless something has changed you canā€™t remote into Win10 IoT. All you get is power shell access. If you want a ā€œrelativelyā€ cheap machine on which to run SGP youā€™re better off with one of the ā€œstickā€ PCs

https://www.amazon.com/AWOW-Windows-Intel-Computer-Bluetooth/dp/B01GR89FRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481570958&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=intel+pc+stick+windows+10&psc=1

However I would be hesitant using such an under powered device to run many thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Minimally I would recommend an i3 based NUC if you want something small with some power that is priced decently. However I think youā€™ll find that youā€™re in for an uphill battle if you want to run something completely headless.

Thanks,
Jared

i am using the atom-based intel stick for many months now, completely headless, with a mach1gto, APCC and a variety of OTAs. itā€™s really quite easy and i havenā€™t had any real problems with it, except for once when it seems to have applied an update in the middle of the night and rebooted.

itā€™s slightly slow when doing HFR calculations but not unbearable.

rob

I asked for a RPi 3 as a gift this holiday, for no other reason but something to tinker with. I read about the Windows IoT but knew nothing of it. It seems that the device can run Linux successfully so I suppose Iā€™ll mess with that. Has anyone gotten SGPro to run on Linux using WINE?

Iā€™m using a NUC with the Paramount and an M3 Intel stick with the Avalon, both running TSX, PHD2 and SGP. The trickiest part of the stick was that its WiFi signal is weak (I figure it is designed to operate within a living room) and I had to add a small TPLink wifi booster to create a network to log into reliably. I have its single USB 3 port go into a 7-way USB 2 hub and then used a USB to ethernet adaptor to attach to the TPLink. This configuration is also designed so that if Iā€™m working away from my home network, I still can attach via Remote Desktop from a PC, Mac or tablet.

Even if you get SGP working with WINE youā€™ll likely also need to get ASCOM working and then driver support. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s impossible but AP is hard enough without attempting to make it harder :slight_smile:

I think youā€™ll find a lot of good uses for the Pi. For instance I use one (along with an Ala Mode (Arduino Board that plugs into the Piā€™s GPIO)) to control my observatory and light panel via a REST interface. The Pi also hosts an Nginx server that serves up a website to allow me to control the observatory via my phone, computer, etc. Iā€™ve also created an ASCOM Dome driver that talks to the Observatory over HTTP through the Pi. Itā€™s been nice to have the observatory accessible via ā€œanything.ā€

I can pull out my phone and just open it up as Iā€™m walking out there to get things ready.

Thanks,
Jared

Look for INDI on Ubuntu Mate, it could do what you want to on your RPI3.
I am back to SGP and Windows after struggling for 8 weeks with it.
Good luck
Peter