Shutter Compatible Nikon DSLR Cameras

Hello,

I have a pretty complete entry level setup that includes as the main imager a Nikon D750 and as a backup imager a Nikon D300. When I tried to test SGP I used the D300 and programmed a sequence with 60 second

I learned that somehow the D300 does not allow internal shutter operations when the camera is in Bulb mode, and that 30 seconds is the maximum shutter duration that could be programmed. Nikon D750 works fine.

I wonder if SGP has developed a list of Nikon cameras that are compatible.

Thanks in advance

Farzad

@Farzad_k

SGPro is compatible with both of those cameras in different ways. The complete compatibility list can be obtained by selecting the Nikon Camera from the drop down and then clicking the setting button. You will see a window that lists all the supported models.

Newer camera, like your D750 support bulb mode operations and need no extra hardware to function. The D300 does not support this and requires a DSUSB adapter to function with SGPro (or any other AP program for that matter)… like this one:

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_ds.htm

Thanks, Ken. I have a suitcase load of hardware and wires and cables and would rather not have yet another one to run the D300. I wanted to see which other camera I should get that does not have this issue or this different way of working, as you put it.

So, does SGP have a list of Nikons that work like a D750? Is it just a matter of being newer? Such that, for example, a D300s might work the same as a Nikon D750?

We should publish this in the help file, but here it is:

“D810”, “D810A”, “D800”, “D750”, “D800E”, “D7100”, “D7200”, “D5200”, “D600”, “D610”, “D5”, “D500”, “D5300”, “D5500”, “D4”, “D4S”, “Df”

Thanks a lot.

Ken:
I have a Nikon D3300 which has the ‘Bulb’ control as in the series of cameras you listed above. According to the on-line SGP guide for the software is to use the DSUSB adapter and cable if my camera was not listed. I have just received the DSUSB and cables from Shoestring and tried it with the SGP. SGP still will not recognize my camera or allow me to configure it under the camera menu for DSUSB use. I’m stumped and have only a few days left on the SGP trial as I was going to make the purchase if it all worked.

@Richard_H

Can you try to connect the camera and then send us logs to look at? Instructions below.

Also, feel free to request a trial extension from the help menu.

Ken:I did not find any instructions in the message you sent me for capturing the log file to send you. Please provide instructions.I will ask for extension through help menu
ThanksRichard

Ken:
I found the log file. Where do I send or email to?

The D3300 is not supported unless you meant D5300.

Drew: According to the camera supported list, if the Nikon camera is NOT on the supported list then a DSUSB adapter with cable from Shoestring is required to use the bulb function of the camera with SGP. I have a DSUSB on my setup and it does not function with SGP. The D3300 is not one of the direct supported cameras but according to the SGP documentation the DSUSB will make it possible to work. Ken wants my error log file which I have for review to see why the software is not recognizing the DSUSB adapter. BTW, the DSUSB adapter works with Digicamcontrol software allowing the D3300 work with the BULB function in their Astronomy module. Digicamcontrol software is like other that do not directly support the D3300 BULB function without it.

Hope the shoestring interface works for you. I bought one a while back to use with my older Nikon cameras. Does the DSUSBCheck application detect the device? If you want me to test anything to help you troubleshoot let me know.

Hi @Richard_H,

Unfortunately I was not paying close enough attention. @drew2578 is correct though in that Nikon does not support remote control of the D3300. The text, while admittedly unclear, was meant to convey that, within the drop down list in the Nikon control panel, certain cameras do not need DSUSB.

Drew:Hope you can help. I have retried the DSUSB adapter to confirm it works with a program named DigiCamControl (can find on Internet and is free) for using BULB mode. I ran a series of test captures with the DSUSB attached and all functions of the program including BULB mode all work with the Shoestring adapter. BULB mode will not work without the adapter.
Next I tested the DSUSB adapter with the DSUSB check adapter and found the following. I can turn on/off the LED and change the colors RED/GREEN with no problem. However, Open/Close Shutter functions do not work. The Check Application detects that the DSUSB adapter is on line so I don’t know why it won’t open or close the shutter.
Any other information you can provide me with would be helpful.
I checked Shoestring’s website but can find no other information that can help.
FYI I have the DSUSB adapter cable plugged into the laptop and the 3.5mm cable plugged into the DSUSB adapter and the other end plugged into the remote camera shutter control port of the camera. BTW, prior to this DSUSB adapter arriving I was using a remote wireless devise to control the shutter that worked fine. I removed this from my setup to use the DSUSB adapter with SGP to work with the rest of my setup when I discovered I cannot get BULB mode to function. I have the SGP error log file Ken wanted but don’t know where to email/send it.

I’ll get more back to you later. I had this problem before as well and then realized that I was putting the plug in backwards. Unfortunately the Nikon plug allows you to put it in either way. I had to slap myself upside the head after figuring it out and ordering another cable thinking the one I had was bad.

One note is that I did have problems with the DUSBcheck application not closing the shutter at the right time, I tested it in another app (Maxim) at the time and it seemed to work as intended.

Ken: Then that does not explain why your user manual says that for SGP software to work with Nikons not directly supported require the Shoestring DSUSB adapter and remote trigger cable. I have now retested the adapter with Shoestrings check adapter and the shutter will open and close provided the AFwakeup signal is active.So now your telling me the user documentation is invalid? Frustrating to say the least!

Drew:I got the check app to work opening and closing the shutter with using the AF wake signle that the test uses.FYI the cable to the camera is keyed and can go in only one way.

Well yes… That was the intent. There seems to be an error in our docs and we will fix it. You may be able to get your shutter to operate, but I cannot make any guarantees that the stuff that happens after it (mostly download and image persistence) will work. Nikon just doesn’t claim to support it for the D3300.

OK. I realize that Nikon does not have the SDK for the D3300 and thanks for all the input. Much appreciated!I guess I’ll find a used Canon 60D, Astro mod it and integrate with my Astro setup. At least then the software will work???

If you are already a Nikon shooter any of the cameras listed above will work without the DSUSB connection. Not to many software packages support Nikon, SGP seems to be the most robust one. If you are comfortable with Nikon get one. really the only advantage the Canon has is that it is supported on more astronomy related platforms… oh yeah and it also has a temperature sensor which is valuable for comparing noise and making dark frames. All in all the Nikon has a lower read noise which is a very good thing. Out of the box my Canon 600D (same sensor as 60D) does not get as good results as my stock Nikon D5200. Astro modifying will help either camera but the read noise will almost always be better on the Nikon.

My 2cents.