SkyWatcher telescope

Can anyone tell me why when I connect my skywatcher telescope in sgp it will connect and ten seconds later it will disconnect. The drop down menu for the telescope shows SkyWatcher Telescope.Have ascom drivers and my mount connects in PHD. My camera connects in sgp.

Try looking in the log files, both for SGP and the telescope.

Thanks for repIying Chris,
I did look at those but have no idea what they are saying…

Still have a problem connecting my skywatcher mount in SGP. It connects and ten seconds later it disconnects, no error is shown. Camera and filter wheel work. Mount connects in PHD2. Use a power hub to connect devices to computer. I don’t know if SGP knows where my scope is pointed because no RA and Dec are shown. Here’s a log from my last session from SGP.sg_logfile_20181028201607.txt (234.6 KB)

It appears the telescope driver could not find the COM port for it. Driver returned error “Requested COM Port does not exist”

Hi Dano.

I recall from first days imaging initially connecting ccd, filter wheel, mount and usb-powered guide cam (QHY5 in this instance) to my pc via a single usb hub and having my mount disconnect promptly. I then figured that the power taken to power my guide cam was affecting the usb connection of every other device. I then separated the equipment and used two powered better quality usb hubs ensuring I had my guide cam on a different usb hub to my mount - problem solved.

If I were you I would try and connect as many devices directly to the PC as possible and minimise the number connected (and possibly powered by) via the usb hub.

HTH - just seen DesertSky’s post pop up too - worth obviously investigating likely cause.

Barry

Thanks Barry

I’ll try that… I also use ATP and it’s funny because my mount will connect in ATP and PHD at the same time, I’d rather use SGP for it’s better features.

Ditto on previous responses.

Have SkyWatcher Esprit 120mm and EQ6-pro mount.

Same issue. Too many USB connections to my USB Hub. So had to split.

I run my imaging camera (QHY163m) to a dedicated USB 3.0 port on laptop.

Everything else runs to USB Hub (guide, EQMOD, focuser, filter wheel) to second USB port on laptop.

Hi Dano47.

PHD2 operating isn’t relevant to the point I was making - it is whether the guide camera is powered by drawing current from the usb hub (often the case).

This current draw is likely to affect the efficiency of every other device connected to the usb hub. It certainly caused the mount to drop connection in my early setup . . . same for @bscholl too it seems.

Hope that is clear.

Hi Berry,

I see what your saying. The guide camera is the only device that draws power from the hub. Everything else has its own power connection (Atlas Pro, Atik 16200 and filter wheel). I’ll work on a different set up to see what works.

Thanks again to all