Slaving roof to telescope

Hi,

and I’m sorry to talk about this again, but haven’t seen this exactly reported before and it’s driving me mad.

Basically, I don’t get my roof opened before unparking the scope, and not getting any slaving at all.

Last night I tried to be very systematic:

• opened SGPro, closed the default sequence window, opened control panel: “slave to telescope” was grayed out.
  • loaded my sequence, connected all gear, including dome (it’s a roll-of-roof, btw)
  • checked control panel again, now ungreyed, but unselected. I selected it. Roof was reported as closed (correctly)
  • hit start sequence, don’t wait for camera to cool down, and telescope starts slewing with the roof closed.
  • sequence goes all, all the time the roof is reported as closed

I can provide the log file if it’s of any help. Hopefully, because after a while the computer froze :frowning:

Last, if I use SGPro’s buttons to open and close the roof, it works fine

Best regards,

jaime

I expect that a log will be essential, also if there are logs for the telescope and dome drivers these could be useful.

As Chris says a full set of logs are neccassary but how have you got the slave settings.

These are mine and all works find, provided I remember to re-tick the solve to telescope check box

Hi,

my slave settings are exactly the same as yours.

I’ve uploaded the log to this address:

http://lunatico.es/tmp/sg-log-noroof.txt

I’m really puzzled about this…

Thanks,

What actions did you do at what time?

Cant see in this log when the scope parks, thi is an extract from my log when the sequence ends

[25/11/2015 19:19:07] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] ASCOM Telescope: Dome slave set to park mount first, parking mount.
[25/11/2015 19:19:28] [DEBUG] [CP Update Thread] ASCOM Telescope: Error in IsSlewing : Slewing (ASCOM.NotConnectedException: Slewing
at ASCOM.SoftwareBisque.Telescope.CheckConnected(String message)
at ASCOM.SoftwareBisque.Telescope.get_Slewing())
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CheckDotNetExceptions(String memberName, Exception e) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 560
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.GetTargetInvocationExceptionHandler(String memberName, Exception e) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 664
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 231
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Telescope.get_Slewing() in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Telescope.cs:line 1104
at fa.f6()

*** repeat above for 20 times odd

[25/11/2015 19:19:30] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] ASCOM Telescope: Mount parked.
[25/11/2015 19:19:30] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Dome: Closing Shutter
[25/11/2015 19:19:30] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] Handling monitoring event (Good Night System, Status).
[25/11/2015 19:19:30] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] GNS: Sent status message to GNS (Sequence has ended)…

Cant see this in yours at all??

Maybe worth a TV session if you want, PM if interested

I’m not having much luck duplicating this :confused:

But I think I may have an idea what is going on at least for the roof opening. Can you do a simple test:

1. Open SGP
  2. Connect your mount
  3. Check the tracking and parked state of your mount.

I’m guessing that your mount is automatically unparking on connect and starting tracking, thus SGP never unparks your mount and so we don’t open the obs as we never call Unpark.

Not sure what’s happening with the parking, but it looks like your mount disconnected? Can you post your entire log?

Thanks,
Jared

Hello,

Jared, that’s a great idea, yes, I believe my mount is precisely doing that, will check tonight. And that would explain things, I was beggining to doubt my sanity.

Trevorn, unfortunately my computer froze after a while, that’s the reason you don’t see the parking / session end part of the log. Thanks for the TV offer anyway, will save it for a future opportunity :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks, will be right back!

jaime

Hello again,

confirmed, the mount is not reporting park, which is a pain…

Fortunately, in the end of session options, the roof gets closed even if the mount fails to report parked, again.

So I think we’re good!

Thanks,

jaime

I suggested that the driver log would be useful because it will help to show what is going on.

You are using the TheSky driver and how this behaves depends on what mount it’s connected to. It can potentially report parked but this will depend on what mount it is connected to and how the connection is made. It can have park enabled and it can work.

The driver log will tell us what is happening from the driver’s perspective.

It would also be a good idea to say what mount you are using and how you are connecting.

Otherwise the best I can suggest is that you stand and watch it.

Chris

Interestingly enough, I just reinstalled the new Gemini-2 driver and I see the same behavior. This wasn’t the case before the new driver… As soon as I started the sequence, SGP unparked my scope, but did not open the roof. Do you guys want logs? Is there a setting inside the Gemini-2 driver I’ve messed up?

Chris

There’s really nothing we can do about it. The only other option would be to open the roof prior to a slew. We may consider doing that but it needs some additional thought.

Thanks,
Jared

I wouldn’t want it tracking after the start of a sequence anyways. My park position is pretty specific. You can always park before the first sequence start.

Hi,

Chris, you guessed it, I’m using TheSky driver with a Vixen SS2K controller.

If the “problem” is not SGPro related, however, I think this may not be the proper place to seek for assistance; for what Jared said, consistent with my mount’s capabilities, it seems SGPro is doing the right thing, just my mount / driver failing to correctly report its state.

I must also say I failed to find where to enable the mount driver log :smile:

Thanks,

jaime

What is it that makes it so difficult for people to read help?

There’s a help file installed when the driver is installed. You have to uncheck the option in the installer not to see it.
The driver Setup window has a button marked "Help"which will show the help file. The button is next the the OK button so shouldn’t be difficult to find.
The Help file describes how to set things up and what is needed to get help. This is in the section marked “Support”.

And the check box to enable logging is next to the Help button.

Chris

Dear Chris,

I appreciate you trying to help but please don’t get frustrated.

Regarding SGPro, I believe the issue is settled. I posted this in the first place mostly to help Ken and Jared, I’m not using the roof automation and have no plans to do so in the near future.

We can talk about what’s so difficult regarding help files etc whenever you want - this is also a source of headaches for me!

Thanks,

jaime