Status Message Update for Frame and Focus


#1

I ran into a small issue this morning. Might be considered cosmetic, but it prompted me to go down an unnecessary troubleshooting path.

After a Frame and Focus module image completes the download, it can take quite a while for the stars to be identified and measured (I guess). During this time, SGP continues to indicate that the download is in progress. The log shows that the downloaded completed and then the star identification took an additional 2 minutes. Can we get the status message to change when the download is complete?

Log snippet:
[4/16/2016 11:44:23 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] SGM_FRAME_AND_FOCUS message received…
[4/16/2016 11:44:23 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM (QSI) camera: frame and focus…
[4/16/2016 11:44:23 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM (QSI) Camera: setting gain to HIGH…
[4/16/2016 11:44:23 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM (QSI) camera: setting normal speed readout…
[4/16/2016 11:44:44 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] QSI expose and download: 20.5921778s
[4/16/2016 11:44:44 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Internal Interface: Set Preview…
[4/16/2016 11:44:44 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Display image preview using asynch task…
[4/16/2016 11:44:45 AM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] --> Find stars no max stars
[4/16/2016 11:46:27 AM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] Find Stars: 46530 found…
[4/16/2016 11:46:27 AM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] Star list contains 46530 stars…
[4/16/2016 11:46:27 AM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] Calculating HFR with sample size: 100
[4/16/2016 11:46:27 AM] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] SGM_FRAME_AND_FOCUS complete…

Complete Log:
http://www.kor-astro.net/SGP_Support/SGP_4/sg_logfile_20160416112856.txt

OS: MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1
SGP Version: 2.5.0.23
SGO File: None, I just started SGP and connected to the camera and filter wheel.

Background (What I was doing):
I was testing a new hub and used the Frame and Focus module to take a 5 second shot with the camera cap on–a dark frame, but through the Frame and Focus module. after about 20 seconds, the camera (QSI683) indicated that the download was complete, but SGP continued to indicate that it was downloading. After a while (around a minute) I killed SGP and tried again. After a couple of rounds of that, I disconnected everything except the camera and filter wheel, thinking it might be a USB throughput issue. That did not help either. Next, I swapped out the USB hub back to the original. Same thing. I finally opened the log and saw the delay between the completion of the download and the completion of the star identification process. I ran another test viewing the log in realtime and what was happening was finally clear.

This is no longer a problem for me, as I understand now what is going on. It would be nice, though, to see the status message change to indicate that the download has actually completed and everything is OK–it’s just doing something else now.

I also realize that this is an extreme case as there were actually no stars and SGP was probably trying very hard to create some out of noise in a dark frame.

Anyway, I hope that this was useful.

  • Shane

www.mainsequencesoftware.com