Team Viewer and SGP

Actually, you are doing something wrong because the free version of TV is for monitoring only ONE instance at a time. You said you were monitoring TWO instances of SGP. The free TV is for one-to-one, not one-to-many or many-to-one.

I would agree with you but after talking extensively with their admin dept he stated that rules are you are allowed to talk to two computers on your own network but that was it. I was flagged because I used it to connect to another persons computer trying to help him. If you buy a license then you can talk to as many as three and you are allowed to make connection to on offsite computer.

The whole conversation was convoluted. It was as if they didn’t even know their own rules. He told me I could appeal it but it was likely that I would not be given access again unless I bought a license. I told him never mind.

@joelshort

Chrome remote desktop can connect via the LAN. In fact, it always attempts to connect to the IP address of the “remote” computer via the LAN first. If that fails, it uses a connection via the Google server. I have specifically tested the LAN only connection and it works fine.

Charlie

I don’t see any way to do this. Where are you entering the IP address of the remote computer?

@joelshort

I don’t know for sure but I assume the remote machine’s IP address is stored in a cookie on the local machine. The LAN access ability of Google remote desktop is documented in several places; in fact, it is the preferred method. I confirmed that ability in my home office environment. I installed Google remote desktop on a Windows PC (a small SBC) I use as a media server. Both my main PC and the media PC are hardwired to an Ethernet switch. Then from my primary desktop PC, I verified that I could remote into my media PC. I logged out and turned off my DSL modem and verified I had no internet access. I then attempted to remote into the media PC and it connected immediately.

I also did a similar test with the observatory PC. I have a VPN connection to my observatory. I established the VPN connection and monitored the IP traffic on the VPN – there was none. I then remoted into the observatory PC and looked at the VPN traffic and could see a large amount of traffic going across the VPN, which could only have been the remote desktop connection.

You certainly need internet access when first setting up the remote computer, since that is the only way to get the remote desktop add-in installed. At that time, the remote PC’s IP address is probably registered with the Google server. The first time you remote into that PC, the local PC will need to retrieve the remote PC’s address from the Google server. You would also need internet access if you changed the IP address of the remote computer so it could register its new address with the Google server.

Charlie

Wow that is really interesting. I’m going to try that. Thanks Charlie

@chasmiller46
So I’m obviously missing something here. Google remote desktop used to install as an app on the actual computer. From that app you could access your other computers. But Google did away with the app.

Chrome remote desktop uses a web or browser interface to access other computers. I did the same experiment you did, 2 computers connected by Ethernet to a router. I turned off my cable modem. When I bring up my browser and try to go to the usual Chrome remote desktop all I get is a message “there is no internet.”

So what am I missing here?

Also, isn’t the LOCAL IP address (on the router) different than the web IP address (on google’s servers)?

@joelshort

You are correct – I was talking about Chrome Remote Desktop, which is an add-in for the Chrome browser. I was not aware of the older app.

The only issue I can think of is that maybe you are not logged into Chrome with the same Google account on both machines? Both computers must have Chrome logged into the same Google account for the remote access to work.

From what I read, when Chrome remote desktop is installed on a PC as “control this PC”, it registers that PC’s private IP address under your Google account on the Google server.

According to documentation, as soon as you go to “remotedesktop.google.com”, Chrome uses your Google account to retrieve the IP addresses of all the remote machines you have registered. If no internet is available, it appears that list is built from a local file (probably a cookie). When you click on the machine you want to remote into, Chrome will attempt to first connect using its registered (private) IP address. This will work if both PCs are on the same subnet or via a VPN. If the remote PC can’t be reached locally and both machines have internet access, the connection goes through the Google server – I assume much like the way Team Viewer works.

At least the first time the two PCs connect both will need to be connected to the internet but should connect via LAN after that (if they can).

Charlie

Google Chrome Desktop for me too. I have been using it for about a week works flawlessly. I have one annoying issue which I found a solution for. I frequently use the hot key Ctrl-W to bring up the sequencer. Unfortunately, this hot key is used by Chome to close the current tab. So, countless times I hit ^W and my tab with my remote connection to my obs goes poof. The solution I found is to go to extensions, select Keyboard Shortcuts from the triple bar icon, and put Ctrl+W in as the hot key to activate one of your extensions that Esc will quickly close. Then if you still forget and hit Ctrl+W, it will pop up this other extension which you can easily close with Esc. Your tab with your remote connection stays put.
Google Chrome Desktop works flawlessly and is really easy to set up.

1 Like

Hi’ I too got cut off from using Teamviewer, after submitting a “ticket” and waiting for about 3 weeks for a decision as to whether I was using their software for commercial use or not, I received an email stating that I could continue to use Teamviewer.
During the time I was cut off I tried out various remote access software, some where OK and other s very poor.
However - As I have dual monitor’s in my observatory and subsequently dual monitors on the computer which I log into my observatory computer - I needed a remote access software which allowed this function, all of them apart from 1 only allowed either 1 monitor to be viewed, dual monitors allowed access - but only 1 monitor could be viewed at a time. The only remote access software which allowed both monitors to be viewed simultaneously only allowed the 2 remote monitors to be seen on one monitor which meant having to scroll up and down to be able to view each monitor. If some are finding it difficult to understand what I’m getting at : Basically I have 2 monitors in my observatory and 2 monitors in the study of my home, I replicate the 2 observatory monitors on the 2 monitors in my study. I tried out all of the remote access software listed in this thread, although not ideal - Teamviewer was the only one which allowed me to do this.

MS RDP will also do this (Show Options - Display Tab - Checkbox: “Use all my monitors …”).

DaveNL

Looks like Teamviewer does not care about the Astro Community. Their loss.

Only if both computers are running Windows 10 So I have been told?: )

@Keith
I believe it will work in older versions as well (I’ve done it from Windows 7 to Windows 7 etc.). However I think the computer on the receiving end of the RDP session (ie. your observatory PC) needs to be at a certain level in order for multiple monitors to work. However I thought the receiving end of the RDP needed to have higher level of particular OS version, for RDP hosting to work at all.

Some info on the issue here …
https://support.steadfast.net/Knowledgebase/Article/View/107/0/using-multiple-monitors-with-windows-remote-desktop

DaveNL

Hi Dave, Now that I’ve read the link you kindly posted I was reminded that Windows 7 Pro platforms aren’t supported with RDP ( which I have on the house computer) The obsy is Windows 10
I know I could not get it to work which is why I use Teamviewer ( that is until they decided to cut me off again !)
Cheers,
Keith.

Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro support RDP. The Home versions dont.

Best regards
Matthias

1 Like