Time change?

So what happens on a time change night when I have the sequence set to end at 6:00am? After the time change that will be 5:00am. Does the time change affect anything?

I had a funny issue last night. Talk about timing :slight_smile:

All of a sudden my next exposure said 3600+ seconds remaining. So at a very precise moment the time change must have caused this during the run. Was good I caught it.

After aborting the sequence and restarting it got the new time and was all good.

If you would like the log I can send it. A rare coincidence for sure.

When I got up this morning and checked the images taken overnight, it is
obvious that the sequence ran an hour too long as all the exposures were
over exposed. But no big deal.

We currently have no code to handle daylight savings changes.

This is not helpful, of course, but that’s why REAL Operating Systems keep time in UTC, and just present a localized time to the user, for convenience. It’s kind of shocking that this many years later Windows remains a toy, unsuited for actual work.

End Rant

I understand it’s ubiquity and the other various things that make it appealing, but, there are so many things about Windblows that are implemented so badly… it’s a wonder to me that it hasn’t been abandoned.

Karl

You recall the old joke: How many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
None… they just declare darkness to be the new standard.

Your Windows rant is misdirected. UTC is available in Windows - SGP is using local time and not noticing the change.

UTC has been in Windows since Win95, and most time sensitive apps use the internet time service (also available since NT 3.5) to get the time base rather than the visible clock (which is the equivalent of your kitchen oven clock) …

Yes. I stand corrected. I still don’t much like Windows, but this isn’t a valid reason to dislike it. (I’m guessing my mistaken belief must derive from some programs, rather than the OS, itself, using the local time rather than UTC.)

Thanks,

Karl

I think the misunderstanding is that Linux based systems use UTC in the BIOS and apply time zone offsets in the OS. Where windows uses local time in the BIOS. So if you are dual booting windows and Linux you end up with odd times depending on which OS most recently updated the hardware clock.

There are some registry hacks that you can do on a Windows machine to make it aware that bios is UTC, but I haven’t had any success getting that to work. Yes you can set the timezone in windows to UTC and have a separate clock display but all file times will be in UTC.

Jared