Weather Underground Observing Conditions ASCOM driver

I can’t seem to find a download link today, but I switched to “openweathermap ascom observing conditions”. I can’t enter my WU station, but I can enter the lat long and elevation for my location and get weather data.

The other setup tab lets you get an openweathermap API key.

FYI WU stopped providing free API keys when they were acquired, and if memory serves the old ones also stopped working.

Maybe a solution can be Cumulus, it connects with all the weatherstation and creates a locale file called realtime.txt with all te information inside, we only need an ascom interface.

For various reasons, I just went down to Lowe’s and got a AcuRite 5 in 1 WiFi weather station ($110) with built-in Weather Underground connectivity. My goal now is to get my observatory to read that data.

So I started hacking around. It seems the free wunderground.com accounts give free apiKeys, which then allow Personal Weather Station (PWS) data extraction from “The Weather Channel” IBM cloud driven weather.com API on Weather Underground deviceIds. This works fine, but it uses JSON or XML for the return payloads, but the SGP driver doesn’t like something in the structure.

Recognizing your good work being EOL, I first attempted to use a Google Apps script to transfer the data from Weather Underground (api.weather.com) to OpenWeatherMap (api.openweathermap.org) using their new API 3.0 which allows PWSs. That actually worked, but the new OpenWeatherMap 3.0 method to retrieve data only gets the station data for the apiKey of the owner. Which would be fine, but the 3.0 (get measurements) method is inconsistent with the 2.5 (get weather) method for getting “current weather” (which is based on a city or lat/long location with curated data sets and AI - not personal weather stations).

So unless the OpenWeatherMap ASCOM is improved to allow 3.0 measurements - no go on PWS data extraction.

Since I didn’t want to set up a VB dev environment and try to reinvent it, I hacked the binary in the WU_ObsCon.dll to point to the new website URL with the added parameters. That works (as I can see the returning network data in Wireshark), but the JSON and XML payload is not what the VB understands.

Just wondering if you (or someone) wants to code up a Weather Underground and/or OpenWeatherMap ACOM fix to pick up personal weather station data using personal apiKeys .

Yes, I know… this is not going to be a general purpose thing, but it can allow connections to Personal Weather Stations (PWS) over cloud services (vs. a direct connect which may be problematic due to proprietary issues).

Anyway - this was fun, but I hit brick walls and wondered if there was still any interest out there.

Greg