Windows 10

I almost hate to go there but in researching a new laptop, I’m almost forced to get Windoz 10.

Are there any known incompatibility issues with running TSX/MX+ with this version of Windows?

Rick

cardiofuse observatory

Personally I find Widows 10 to be significantly more stable than pretty much every version before it. I’m not sure where all the hesitation comes from. Maybe folks are still in the “once bitten, twice shy” state from Windows 8.

I can’t comment on the particular software but Win10 has been pretty solid for me.

Jared

It’s been extremely reliable for me, too.

Same here - if you can, why not go for a brick - and then keep it lean and mean, without the usual rubbish that one has to install on it to do everyday stuff. I have a NUC and a PC stick running Windows 10. Windows 10 Pro does provide multiple monitors in remote desktop but the downside is controlling the updates. In Win 7, I could turn those off and live in ignorance.

W10 works for me too: very stable.

In ‘services’ you can completely disable the windows update option. I do this and only switch to ‘manual’ when I want to check for updates.

+1 to Windows 10, although I don’t use TSX/MX+.

Been running for over a year on obs PC - Lenovo “mini” (similar to NUC) - as well as 2 laptops and “warm room” desktop. Many many astro apps - all seem to be happy, even Foster Systems AstroMC.

The automatic updates can be annoying, but appreciate a little more with the WannaCry worm on the go.

DaveNL

Windows 10 works yes, but for my Starshoot guider for instance, or my PL hitec serial to usb cable, it wants to update drivers which makes them not functional. Even when switching as much as possible off regarding updates, it was a nightmare for those devices. I’m going to update now to hardware that is supported, but that did bite me and I expect many others… which is why I’ve remained on Windows 7 for now.

+1 for Windows 10, with TSX/MX. No issues with drivers - but then I carefully choose companies who use decent usb to serial chipsets. All of mine are FTDI apart from the unique one in the MX.